Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
At South Chesapeake Psychiatry we believe that all forms of treatment that may benefit a patient should be used, but that they should be used appropriately and within standards of care, best use and other guidelines.
Therefore, we believe in the use of Dialectical Behavioral Therapy to treat those with Borderline Personality Disorder.
DBT, founded by Dr. Marsha Linehan, is one of the only treatments found to be effective in the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder and is mostly about mindfulness. There is also some evidence that DBT can be helpful in treating Mood Disorders and Substance Use Disorders.
Borderline Personality Disorder is characterized by the following signs and symptoms –
- An intense fear of abandonment, even going to extreme measures to avoid real or imagined separation or rejection
- A pattern of unstable intense relationships, such as idealizing someone one moment and then suddenly believing the person doesn’t care enough or is cruel
- Rapid changes in self-identity and self-image that include shifting goals and values, and seeing yourself as bad or as if you don’t exist at all
- Periods of stress-related paranoia and loss of contact with reality, lasting from a few minutes to a few hours
- Impulsive and risky behavior, such as gambling, reckless driving, unsafe sex, spending sprees, binge eating or drug abuse, or sabotaging success by suddenly quitting a good job or ending a positive relationship
- Suicidal threats or behavior or self-injury, often in response to fear of separation or rejection
- Wide mood swings lasting from a few hours to a few days, which can include intense happiness, irritability, shame or anxiety
- Ongoing feelings of emptiness
- Inappropriate, intense anger, such as frequently losing your temper, being sarcastic or bitter, or having physical fights
Both Amanda and I hold certifications in DBT and offer a skill building group that consists of 4 modules which contain (4)2.5-hour sessions per module.
Sessions take place every Wednesday from 5:00 – 7:30pm and are conducted at the office where you can come in person or participate remotely.
Patients can participate in 1, 2, 3 or all 4 modules. Discounts are offered to those who sign up for all 4 modules.